Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Waiting for the eggs to hatch


I am very careful not to check the Mockingbird's nest too often, just to make sure that the parents do not get upset. Any time I am checking, I never see the adult birds until I am at the nest and then they will suddenly appear, usually on the roof gutter above.

So far, the eggs have not hatched. They are supposed to take 12-13 days to come out of their shell. I discovered them on Thursday, April 17th and I am not sure how long they had been there before then. However, we will probably have a bit of a wait before we see that they have arrived.





A class in North Carolina wanted to know how I knew the eggs were from a Mockingbird. This is an excellent question and one that I found the answer to last year. There are two main reasons to know that this is a Mockingbird. The first one being that I have seen the adult birds and they are typical Mockingbirds in both their looks and actions. The characteristics of this species is that they have two white wingbars that show up as large white patches when they are in flight. I took this picture last year when one of the adults was flying over me. Notice the white patches on the wings that are visible there.

The second reason I know that these are Mockingbirds is because their eggs are supposed to be bluish green, spattered with shades of brown. Most definitely these eggs can exactly be described in this way.




So we wait for the time when our new little birds will make their appearance in the nest that is located in this bush in front of my townhouse.

No comments: